Our original mission, adopted in 1944 and periodically reaffirmed, is as follows:
- The Insitute of Textile Technology shall establish and maintain an educational Institution at the graduate level for instruction of students and for research in literary and scientific branches of learning.
- The Insitute shall specialize in scientific instruction, cooperative research, and information service in those disciplines that apply to the materials, processes, and technologies for the manufacture of textiles, their distribution, and use.
- In fulfilling its education, research, information, and consulting purposes, the Institute defines the following goals for its major program areas:
- To be a focal point of excellence and leadership in textile technology as a premier source of technical education, knowledge, research, and services applied to the disciplines of textile manufacturing and management;
- To select graduate students of high intellectual capability who demonstrate leadership ability, personal integrity, and strong interpersonal skills; to develop the ability of those students to assume leadership responsibilities in the textile industry upon graduation by means of a multi-disciplinary graduate education program in the theory and practice of textile manufacturing technology, reinforced with extensive industry interaction and the Institute's applied research program;
- To educate the current and future leadership of the textile industry by imparting the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve excellence in the practice of textile manufacturing and management;
- To assemble a comprehensive collection of textile-related information and to disseminate this information accurately and effectively to meet the needs of students, faculty and staff, industry personnel, and the general public;
- To generate and disseminate new knowledge through applied research in textile processing and manufacturing systems;
- To provide analytical and diagnostic capabilities in support of the Institute's education, research, and service programs
ITT Statement of Purpose
The Institute of Textile Technology shall establish and maintain an educational institution at the graduate level for instruction of students and for research in literary and scientific branches of learning. The Institute shall specialize in scientific instruction, research, and information service in those disciplines that apply to the material, processes, and technologies for the manufacture of textiles, their distribution, and use.
ITT has established many goals and objectives that will prepare students for leadership careers in the ever-changing textile industry. These goals and objectives have allowed many ITT graduates to achieve various leadership positions in the U.S. textile industry.
Goal of the Master of Science Program
The goal of the Institute of Textile Technology's Master of Science Program is to select graduate students of high intellect and leadership ability who demonstrate personal integrity and strong interpersonal skills for preparation in significant leadership responsibilities in the textile industry. Through multi-disciplinary graduate education in the theory and practice of textile manufacturing technology, reinforced with extensive industry interaction and the Institute's applied research program, students are empowered to achieve this goal. More succinctly, ITT's goal is to prepare young men and women for leadership careers in the manufacturing segment of the primary textile industry. The Institute's Board of Trustees, consisting of the leading chief executive officers of the U.S. textile industry, has challenged the ITT graduate program to provide their companies with talented individuals capable of leading textile processes and assuming manufacturing responsibilities.
To fulfill its goal, the Institute selects the very best students from American undergraduate schools. The Institute's Academic Committee, which grants fellowships to study at ITT, seeks students with excellent academic credentials, demonstrated leadership skills, strong character, and a desire to make a successful leadership career in textile manufacturing.
ITT's graduate program offers its students the opportunity to acquire and hone the skills and knowledge necessary for a successful career in manufacturing leadership. All ITT students are thoroughly emersed in textile technology, business administration, quantitative analysis, and professional communications.
The education program is one of the most effective in American higher education because it is designed to expose students to both theories and principles of textile leadership. In addition, students are provided multiple opportunities to apply their knowledge in a variety of experimental learning environments. Furthermore, students are provided the unique opportunity to meet with industry CEO's, Presidents, and Plant Managers during formal and informal occasions sponsored by the Institute.
The performance of ITT's graduates in their first post-professional position following graduation confirms the validity of the Institute's academic mission. During the past fifty-two years of operation, ITT graduates have witnessed excellent job placement. Many of our graduates have risen to the uppermost leadership positions in the U.S. textile industry.
Objectives of the Master of Science Program
The Institute of Textile Technology has articulated the following objectives to meet its goal of preparing young men and women for careers in textile manufacturing leadership:
- The ITT graduate shall understand the fundamental aspects of successful textile manufacturing, and should understand the integration of the critical processes comprising the textile complex;
- The graduate shall become a skillful technical leader who, by definition, is knowledgeable in engineering, scientific, and the technological underpinnings of textile processing technology, and can apply that knowledge effectively in the industrial setting;
- The graduate will be skillful at using and researching available resources to help him/her function effectively in the industrial setting;
- The graduate should be knowledgeable of the current state-of-the-art technology in textile manufacturing;
- The graduate should develop a finely-honed ability to study and analyze a technical or management problem, reflect upon the situation, synergize a thoughtful model to explain the circumstances, and finally develop a well-reasoned solution. In other words, the student should acquire improved thinking and reasoning skills while studying at ITT;
- The graduate will demonstrate mastery of oral and written professional communication skills; and
- The graduate shall graduate from ITT with a mature career perspective, and an interest, including ambition and willingness to succeed.